Brandon house fire ruled accidental


A fire destroyed a single-family home in Brandon, Sunday, Sept. 8, apparently due to combustibles near a water heater. No one was injured.

Sandy Cram of Wallingford owns the home where her son Eugene Cram lives. 

Eugene had been outside the house working and when he approached the house at approximately 7:45 p.m. he could see fire through a window.

He attempted to put the fire out with an extinguisher, but was unable to do so. He got out of the house with his dogs and called 911. 

The Brandon Fire Department arrived on scene shortly after 8 p.m. and found heavy smoke conditions to the point that the house could not been seen from the road. The Brandon Fire Department tried to put the fire out and called in the Pittsford and Salisbury Fire Departments for additional resources.

Despite efforts from local responders, the building, while still standing, is considered a total loss. 

The DPS Fire and Explosion unit’s investigation determined that the fire originated in the closet that housed the water heater. The fire is listed as accidental and is not considered suspicious.

The Division of Fire Safety wants to remind everyone of the importance of maintaining their appliances and reading the manufacturer’s instructions to ensure you have proper clearance from combustibles. 

Share this story:
Back to Top